Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother’s Day

Me and Mommy cropped

It’s Mother’s Day.  A day we set aside to honor mothers and celebrate motherhood.  It’s sad to say, but I don’t remember a lot of Mother’s Days from my childhood.  I don’t remember doing things to make my mother feel especially appreciated and loved on that day in May.  God, I sure hope I did and it’s just my advancing age that is causing me to forget.  I can only hope that on every Mother’s Day I had her in my life that she knew I thought she was the greatest mom in the world.

This picture was taken on Saturday, May 10, 1986, almost 25 years ago to the day.  It was the day of my junior prom, and it occurs to me now that the following day was Mother’s Day.  Somehow, so much makes sense in this moment.  I remember the fun we had shopping for that pink dress with the white polka-dot lace overlay.  I remember feeling so proud to be wearing long white gloves like my mother had worn when she was my age.  That day, and the days leading up to it, were all about me.  My mother made sure that I had everything just so – the dress, the gloves, the cameo.  I felt like a princess.  And now that I’m a mother myself, I can understand that was probably the best Mother’s Day gift I could have given her.  Those are the best gifts – seeing joy in your children’s eyes, being able to make them smile or make their dreams a reality.  It makes my heart hurt now to think that the next day was the last Mother’s Day I’d ever spend with her.  I can’t believe that in more than 20 years of looking at this picture on my nightstand, this is the first time I’ve come to that realization.

I miss her so much.  I wish she’d had the chance to get to know me as an adult, to meet Dennis, to hug and kiss her grandchildren.  This year, I’ll turn 42, the age she was when she died.  I’m reminded how precious every moment is; how imperative it is that we enjoy the gifts we receive every single day.

I’m incredibly blessed to be called Mom (or Mommy, Mamacita, Mamajama Three Days) by two amazing little people.  They fill my life with “Mother’s Days” all year, and fill my heart with pride and love.  They are the greatest gifts I could ever dream of.

A special Happy Mother’s Day to my mother, and to my mother-in-law, too.  I am so thankful to her for treating me as one of her own, for raising a son who is such a loving husband and adoring father, and for being such a wonderful grandmother to my babies.  Happy Mother’s Day, Nanna!  And Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers in my life – hope your day is beautiful!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kimmie - that was so sweet and sad and happy and reflective and lovely to read.
Happy Mother's Day to you - you are a selfless, caring, loving, fun and wonderful mama (and friend).
Love you.