Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Great Outdoors

This past weekend, we took Matthew on his first camping trip (and my first in....ahem....30 years). Last time I camped was in Girl Scouts, and let's face it, all I really had to do then was show up and eat s'mores. We planned this outing with our friends Jay and Liz & Adam and Chrissie, along with their kids. We always have a fun time together, so I knew it would be a great weekend.

We set out on Friday afternoon, and made our way to the campground in Bozrah, CT. Less than an hour away, and only 20 minutes from Jay and Liz's, so we knew we had a contingency plan close by should the weather become an issue. (Fortunately, it didn't - got a good storm on Saturday night but nothing we couldn't handle.) The place looked gorgeous on the website, but you never know what to expect. As we pulled up to the campground, I knew for sure we had a wonderful weekend in store - it was even more beautiful in person.

We got up to our sites, at the end of a dead end road up a pretty steep hill. That hill proved interesting for trips to the restrooms, but I think we had the best sites in the place. Lots of privacy, and really tucked away in the woods - just what we were hoping for.


Dennis got the tent all set up while Matthew and I explored a bit. Jay, Liz, Abby and Wyatt arrived shortly after us, with Adam, Chrissie and Timmy not far behind. The tent worked out great - Matthew's pack and play fit perfectly in the little side room, and the kids enjoyed using the air mattress as a mini bounce house!

One of the best parts of the trip was watching the kids play together. They really had a fun time, and it's so great that they're all so close in age. I can just see the many years of fun these guys will all have together, and I just love it.

On Saturday afternoon, we decided to check out some of the many amenities of the campground, even though we were perfectly content to just hang around by the campfire. The kiddos all had a fabulous time in the pool - Matthew absolutely loved it! Not only was he not afraid of the water (which I was so happy to see), but he looked like he was ready to just take off swimming. Here's one of my favorite pool shots...

There are just tons and tons of things to do at this campground, including this gorgeous 30 acre lake (with water trampoline, canoes, kayaks, paddleboats, etc.). They have different activities every weekend, plus mini-golf, shuffleboard, Bingo, horseshoes, tennis, basketball, and my favorite - a restaurant on the beach that will deliver food to your site. Definitely want to take advantage of that next time! I think Liz captured it perfectly when she said "This place is like Kellerman's!" Oh, and if you don't get that reference, then shame on you!
Of course, camping isn't camping without coffee perked cowboy style on the fire....

And lots of yummy food.....

But, the best part of all was the company. I feel lucky to have such wonderful friends in my life. We brought cards and games to pass the time, but the great thing is that we truly enjoy each other's company so much that we just played with the kids and cooked and hung out by the fire, chatting and relaxing. I'm looking forward to many more camping trips together in the years to come. Love you guys.

I took a boatload of pictures, so check them out here. Those of you who are used to looking at pictures I take will see that as usual, I took lots of pictures of the same thing (remember the sunset pictures from Debbie & Brendan's wedding? Yeah, just like those.) There are lots of the kiddos playing on the rocks at breakfast, and lots at the pool. It's just what I do...
Hope you enjoy!

9 comments:

Gini said...

What a great, heartfelt, simple re-cap, Kimmy. Great! Great! Great! Sounds like the perfect weekend for you. Can't believe you went and did that - all pregnant...but whatever. You rock! Nice to have the best best of friends, isn't it??? On my way over to the photos.

Nanna said...

Those are great photos! Great Week end. I am feeling old as I read the news. I remember when all of the camping chores didn't feel like work. Dad and I are so glad the you know the important things in life and that you know how to enjoy them. Your 3 families will be friends for life.
LOVE YA

Kimmy what a beautiful day to get a new washing machine.

Unknown said...

Loved your recap and can't wait to see all of your pictures.
It really was a beautiful, relaxing and fun weekend. Loved every second of it.

(umm - except for the long, cold night I spent praying for sunrise - but that's a small price to pay!)

Ditto what nanna said about the long years ahead of us AND the new Washer! I am so excited for you!

Denise said...

YAY! Great weekend with great friends - whats better? Nada.

Debbie said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend and I think that you did stay at Kellerman's! You will have to come to the creek next year, but please note the creek does not have a restaurant that delivers to the site:) I am off to check out the pictures!

Denise said...

Is Kellerman's from Dirty Dancing? I checked out the pix and they are awesome!! What a great weekend. Have you all started an annual tradition? XO

Unknown said...

Debbie & Denise - Dennis announced that we would be doing this every year and that next year would be up in NY... about 15 minutes after we parked our car.
He was wise to decide that early on - I already can't wait till next year!

Debbie said...

Liz, you got it! We will make sure that you get our very best site! See you then (hopefully before)!

Denise said...

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!