Monday, June 30, 2008

Help me understand


I have a question for all you people who feel the need to treat those you deem beneath you like crap. Just what do you get out of being rude and condescending to people working to make an honest living? Seriously. Where's the fun in that?

Case in point - my visit to Big Y tonight. I can honestly say that almost every time I'm in this particular store, I witness some snotty person (male or female) being obnoxious to one of the store's employees. Tonight, it was two biznotches at the deli. The first one, dripping in tons of tacky gold jewelry, looking like she hasn't worked a day in her life, felt the need to give the young man waiting on her a hard time about everything. "Show me the way you're slicing the cheese." "Show me the Italian roast beef." "Throw away the first slice". All said in the most demeaning tone you can imagine. Then, the second one, in her fancy dark-washed Levi's denim shorts and hair out to here. She asked for something - I couldn't hear what - but apparently they were out of the brand she asked for. The young girl waiting on her apologized, and offered her another brand. She huffed and puffed, but agreed. The girl went to open a new package for her, and for God knows what reason, this lady barks out "Forget it. I don't want it." And storms off... The young girl just stood there dazed for a minute.

I reeeeeeally wanted to follow both of these women and get up in their faces to find out what exactly they got out of being so rotten. I mean, you've gotta have some serious issues to take pleasure in harassing high school students working in the grocery store for minimum wage.

Here's the craziest part. You've never seen a nicer group of people than the employees in this store. There's actually a bell near the exit that you can ring if you've received good service. I've felt compelled to ring this bell on my way out on more than one occasion - that's how nice they are. It's a wonder they're still nice with the way they get treated.

OK, end of rant. I'm coming down off my soapbox.

On a completely unrelated note - is it just me, or is Hoosiers one of the best movies of all time? It's on right now, so I must go pay attention. Gotta cheer on the boys from Hickory.

9 comments:

Debbie said...

I can not stand rude people!

Allison said...

Me neither!! One of my first jobs was working a concession counter at a movie theater--and I think the minute you put on some kind of apron and funny hat you are immediately a target for jerks!

Gini said...

Now that's the Kimmy I know and love......keep ranting....

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you. I wonder if it is a genetic thing or what. I mean how come anyone can think they are so much better than anyone else.

I want slap those people and I am not a violent person at all.

Maybe she will choke on her cold cuts.

Allison said...

"Maybe she will choke on her cold cuts" thanks I just snorted ice tea all over myself!!

Denise said...

Amen, sista! I completely agree. xo

Claire said...

You know me and I know you've listened to me rant when I feel someone has been rude. I..Just..Don't..Get..It!!! I hate rude, especially when another person is helpful and pleasant, etc. See, now I'm ranting.... ;o)
I love the "maybe she'll choke on her cold cuts"... I'll add and fall off her high heels AND rip her fancy jeans.

Enjoy your holiday. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to rant in your blog.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes. Snob-town USA. I witness the same stuff at Stop Shop in Glastonbury. I make it my JOB to be super sweet to the employees down there, because the people that live there are so "known" for their rudeness and "life-owes-me-something" attitude {btw, I also go out of my way to be super nice to the really bitchy women. I always hope that when I say "gee, I sure hope that young lady doesn't lose her job over that, I'm sure you didn't mean to make her feel so badly" that something inside their hearts clicks and grows a little bigger like when the Hoos down in Hooville sing on Christmas morning.
HAHA!!!!!

Danielle said...

could you please come to rite aid and yell at snotty people there. they suck