Thursday, July 17, 2008

Jackass

I've been making a concerted effort lately to try to buy grocery items when they're on sale, mostly because I'm completely enraged at how the prices are escalating. I've also been trying to overcome my brand snobbiness in favor of the cheaper store brands on many items. Today, I actually took the time to read the flyers in the paper, and planned my grocery list accordingly. I was pretty psyched at some of the sales, and even more psyched that I was going to Stop and Shop, where I wouldn't have to deal with redeeming coins or bitchy customers or ridiculously high prices just because of the town we've chosen to live in. Take a look along with me at some of these bargains......








OK, so that last item got nixed from the list. When I mentioned to Dennis that I was going to buy something other than Tropicana Pure Premium, I was met with some resistance. I must admit - it didn't take much to twist my arm on that one. :)

So, off Matthew and I go to the store. I load him up in the Baby Bjorn and we're on our merry way through the aisles. First stop - the deli. I get my honey ham, and as I'm dropping it into my carriage, I notice that the label says $6.99/lb. Hmmm....what's up with that? I figure - OK, I must have asked for the wrong one. So, I proceed over to the seafood counter, and large shrimp, not jumbo, are $6.99/lb. What the hell? Suffice it to say that as I continue along, I notice that nothing is priced as it should be. I'm ready to go up to the courtesy desk (is it actually called that anymore?) and raise a stink, when it dawns on me. Does Stop and Shop not start their sales on Thursday? Used to be that all the sales in all the stores ran Sunday through Saturday - nice and easy to remember. Little by little, different stores have changed their dates, but I thought they'd all gone to Thursday through Wednesday. Apparently in poring over the flyer so diligently, I missed this........

Awesome.

9 comments:

Denise said...

GGrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaat.

Debbie said...

That sucks! So much for being organized :)

Allison said...

Oh that hurts.

Anonymous said...

Not to worry, you just go to the courtesy booth fill out a form and they give you a temporary card until you get yours in the mail.

You can use the temperart card the same day!

Anonymous said...

Ho sorry you meant the dates. I never saw anything like that

Gini said...

dammit

Claire said...

Been there and done that too! Shaws started running their sales this way and the other stores followed along. I won't rant about how irritating I find this practice. ;o) My weeks run Sunday - Saturday...not Thursday to Wednesday... Geesh!!!

Unknown said...

I am the QUEEN of meal-planning/flyer-shopping/coupon-clipping. I have done, this, Kimmie. I was enraged!
Oh well. I am proud of you. And for the record, Simply Orange is WAY better than Tropicana. Way.

Chris said...

simply orange rocks, kimmy. if you don't convince dennis, i'll make him try it when i get there...