Saturday, May 10, 2008

The bane of my existence

Here it is, folks. The thing that is driving me mad these days....


Those of you who live in the Northeast (or have lived here) will recognize this little puppy. It's a silver coin from Big Y, a chain of supermarkets in this area. Like most stores, Big Y has a card you can use to take advantage of special sale prices, all the while giving the store a complete record of the food and products your family uses. Small price to pay, I say, especially in these times of escalating prices for everything. Well, Big Y takes it a step further. There's a slot machine style game you can play on a touch screen at the register to try to win coins, which can be used for extra savings on specific items that change each week. For those of us not living in the Vegas area, where there are real slot machines in the supermarkets, this is the next best thing.

More often than not, you end up with a No Winner, but now and then you hit the jackpot. By jackpot, I mean you win a silver coin, the lowest possible prize. In God knows how many years of shopping at Big Y, I've won maybe five red or blue coins, and have never even seen a gold coin - I personally don't think they exist.

So, these coins get you pretty good savings - that is, when you remember to actually use them. I must have a dozen silver coins in my purse, and probably 20 more at home. As I shop, I'll pick things up, knowing that I can turn in some coins and save some coin. But do I do that? Well, no....because I'm too busy playing the stupid game trying to win more!! And to make matters worse, the Big Y in town has taken to giving out two surprise silver coins everytime you shop, whether you play the game or not. No wonder my purse weighs 10 pounds.

That's all for now.....I have to go drink some of the 128 oz jug of Tropicana Pure Premium No Pulp with Calcium orange juice that would have been $5.44 if I had used my coin...and I need to call Gamblers Anonymous.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is so cool!!

Denise said...

Oh My God! That reminds me of shopping for Ann Egan. I think I still have a few of those coins around. xo

Anonymous said...

If I remember right, last time I cashed in my coin jar I still had some of those coins mixed in with my old change! They never go away! I haven't been in a Big Y in 5 years!

Buggsy said...

the silver coins are good for discount movie tickets - that's the one really good use for them that never expires. they aren't as cheap as a matinee tickets, but if you like to go to evening shows, those silver guys can be kinda helpful :)