Saturday, August 2, 2008

First haircut

Today we took Matthew to get his first haircut. I've been fighting it for a while, but I knew it was time as it was getting quite long over his ears. We took him to Snip-its in Canton, CT. They only do kids' haircuts, so we thought that would be a good place to go for his first time. The place is all decked out for kids, with bubbles, computer games, animated mascots and a prize at the end. Very cool, even as an adult.

He got his haircut by Lena (sp?), and she and he both did a great job. He didn't mind a bit, and actually seemed to enjoy the experience. We were able to take pictures and video the whole thing, so we have it for posterity. They also took a picture of him that they attached to a certificate of bravery, along with locks of his hair. I didn't think it was possible for him to look any cuter, but see for yourself....
Before....

During...

After...





After we finished up, we went out to lunch. We went to Flatbread right in the Canton shops, and had the best pizza ever! They use all local ingredients, and you can pretty much customize anything on the menu any way you like it. Dennis had a nitrate-free pepperoni and mushroom pizza...sooooo good!



And I customized mine - 1/2 Coevolution (Kalamata olives, fresh rosemary, red onions, oven roasted red peppers, goat cheese, mozzarella, garlic, and herbs) and 1/2 Test of Love (the daily veggie special - Homemade tomato sauce, roasted garlic, organic caramelized onions, local goat cheese topped with mozzarella, parmesan and organic herbs). Fabulous!

Matthew had lunch in a restaurant for the first time...no pizza for him, though. Oatmeal and pears.


Since it was pouring outside (of course it was!), we decided to linger for a while on the comfy couches and have dessert. Dennis had a brownie sundae with local J. Foster's vanilla ice cream...

and I had gingerbread, also with vanilla ice cream.


Yeah, we made short order of those...


We had such a nice lunch. So relaxed and cozy, spending time with our handsome little boy who no longer seems so little. I felt so full of love.

We did a little shopping in the shops, and then headed home. My wonderful husband, who always takes me to my favorite places, took me by my favorite tree in the whole world. Yes, I have a favorite tree. I used to pass it daily on my way to the Simsbury office I worked in. It's a gigantic sycamore tree - the Pinchot sycamore, the largest tree in Connecticut, and I have always admired it from the road but never stopped to see it. Well, Dennis drove us down to the park at the base of the tree so I could see it in all its glory. It was last measured in 1998, at 26 feet around, 95 feet tall, with an average canopy diameter of 140 feet. Check it out!

If you click on this picture, you'll notice a car going over the bridge behind the tree. Gives you an idea how humongous it is.

Then, as if the day could possibly get any better, we stopped in Southwick on the way home for dinner. No, not at the Summer House.....

And, in case you're wondering - no, I'm not surprised that none of my old clothes fit me.

7 comments:

Allison said...

OH my GOSH Matthew looks GREAT. What a little man!! Isn't that first hair cut hard? I cried the first time--I remember. LOVE the Pinchot Sycamore--I used to drive by it on my way in to work in the old days. Ok, and WHERE IS MY DONUT????? BTW, I have never thought that Matthew looked so much like Dennis as in that pic of him where you can see his little toesies!!!

Chris said...

Funny how big things grow when it rains...I can't wait until I don't have to contruct means to hold up my trees and rely on the daily drip system to keep them alive...cute pics of Matthew, he looks great!

Denise said...

That kid is so freaking cute, that tree is so freaking big and that food looked so freaking good. xo

Debbie said...

I want that donut! Matthew's looks adorable as always. And I agree with Allison, Matthew looks just like Dennis in those pictures.

Have a great week! It looks like we are getting a whole lot more rain in the dacks :(

Gini said...

great re-cap, Kimmy. Love Matthew and Love Donuts!!

Unknown said...

Oh my God that Matthew is so cute.What a little soldier.
I remember Denny's first hair cut. Geno worked at the Elm Barber Shop back then. He sat on my lap and Denise supervised.

Unknown said...

I cannot stop laughing at you, the salon for the first haircut, the video camera rolling, the celebratory lunch... this whole blog is so YOU and so CUTE. Love it. Of COURSE you have a favorite tree. LMAO.
LOVE YOU GUYS!