Friday, August 15, 2008

I'll bet you....

How could I have forgotten in my last post to mention our absolute favorite stop at The Big E? It's got to be this place. If you've not experienced these fabulous little treats, let me just say that you are truly missing out. Although there are many varieties of fillings, we opt for potato and cheese -my two favorite foods - how can you go wrong? Add a big ol' dollop of sour cream, and now you're speaking my language.


The people behind the counter wear these big red and white hats, and the booth is all decked out with the polish eagle. Even though a few of our local grocery stores carry the pierogi, they're just not the same as when they're served by these folks. Check them out....

Our first visit to this booth each year is filled with mixed emotions. You see, there are times throughout the year when, if Dennis and I disagree on something, we resort to a bet. When the betting gets serious, the stakes escalate, and we'll bet a Polish Plate from Millie's -- as in, the winner has to watch the loser eat one. I know....cruel. So cruel, in fact, that we've never been able to follow through on it once we get there. We always end up ordering pierogi and a golumpki, and making short order of them together.

As it turns out, the Polish Plate has way too much stuff on it - what exactly, you ask? I can't tell you, because even as I sit here writing this, we're remembering it differently. Maybe I should bet him a Polish Plate over what's in a Polish Plate.

If you can't make it to The Big E or can't find these pierogi in your local store, you can apparently order them online (which I learned while "borrowing" the above pictures from their website). I may just have to give that a try to have some on hand in case of an emergency.

OK, seriously - did I just write an entire post about pierogi? WOW. That's gotta be a first.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't want to compare or compete, but I will have to tell you that the pierogies at the Hebron Harvest Fair are pretty dang good. As are the hand cut french fries and the fried dough.
Because if I am being honest - those are the things that drive our annual visit.
The food and, of course, the farm animals.
Although, this year will be a whole new ballgame with an almost 3-year old and all those little carnival rides!

Denise said...

Stack said he is in for the Big E this year! We will have to try these. xo

Gini said...

I love pierogies, but the Big E still sucks.

Just kidding...

again...

Gini said...
This comment has been removed by the author.