Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas Music snob

OK, OK, I'm posting...... =) It hasn't really been that long, has it?

This morning on my way to work I was listening to a new CD of Christmas music that I picked up the other night. I decided to be adventurous and try listening to something other than my old stand-bys, and this CD seemed like it had potential. It boasts songs by Johnny Cash, Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra, and has a few of my favorite songs that you don't find on many CD's out there. So, I popped it in and got ready to belt out some tunes while cruising down the highway. Sadly, I found myself skipping past every song - each one worse than the last. In a word, it SUCKED! Guess that's why it was only $2 at the register in Walgreens.

I've come to realize that I only like certain Christmas songs sung by certain artists. When I hear a song sung by someone other than the singer I'm expecting, I just can't enjoy it. Likewise, when I hear a singer I love singing a song other than one I'm used to hearing them sing, it's just not happenin' for me.

Here are some song/artist combos that I think just shouldn't be messed with...

White Christmas - Bing Crosby
The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole
Home for the Holidays - Perry Como
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reinder - Gene Autry
Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms
A Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives
Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
I'll Be Home for Christmas - Perry Como
It's Beginning to Look Like Christmas - Perry Como
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Andy Williams

Is it just me, or do any other versions sound like they're just not right? How about you? Can you listen to any song by any singer, or do you have a hangup about Christmas music like me?

And yes, I do know there are a lot of Perry Como songs in my list. The man was a genius. And for the record - best Christmas album EVER? You guessed it......

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I have nothing to say about this post. boooorrrring....

Unknown said...

Loved it.
Not loving "anonymous" that much right now.
Kimmie - I grew up with those same albums!

Gini said...

I am so not opposed to voicing ones opinion once in a while(shut up, you guys)but at least do it nicely and with a little respect, anonymous! Anyhoo - LOVE PERRY COMO too. I agree with you totally.

Anonymous said...

O stop it! Where is your sense of humor?

Allison said...

I LOVE PERRY COMO!

Debbie said...

For me it HAS to be Happy Holidays by Andy Williams!

Unknown said...

Anonymous - you're so sensitive. Aw.
I was being "dry" - you should know that about me by now. lol

Debbie - I love Andy Williams so much!!

Anonymous said...

Can you increase your blog frequency to daily or at least every other day? Your fan base is increasing in size and we need more interesting reading material.

Claire said...

Kim, I agree with you and your choices for traditional Christmas music. I have to add that for "different" songs, I love the songs the country singers write. A good example is Barbara Mandrell's, "Christmas at Our House". It's an awesome, untraditional song that sums up the neighborly feel of Christmas.