Thursday, December 11, 2008

Getting ready for Christmas

Like everyone else, we've been busy getting ready for Christmas. We went last weekend to get our tree. Sadly, our favorite place - where you ride out to the fields on a horse drawn carriage, singing Christmas carols the whole way - was closed. I'd stumbled upon the owner's obituary when I was searching the farm out online. Their sign says they'll be open next year - I sure hope so.

So, we headed off to another farm that we've been to before. They had some great trees, and we ended up picking the very first one we stopped at. Now, don't misundertand....we didn't cut it down the first time we saw it. Oh, no...of course not. We tredged through the fields for another 45 minutes or so, only to come back to the original tree. Thank goodness no one else had snagged it.

Matthew had a fun time. He loves being outside, and enjoyed traipsing through the fields. Naturally, we snapped some pictures, it being his first time picking a tree and all. Here are a few...


Here's a quick video of my favorite part....

A few pics from inside the car after....


We've been slowly working on getting the house decorated. We have A LOT of Christmas decorations. One thing I've developed a fondness for over the last few years is door hangers. I've got a bunch of different ones, and almost every door in our house has one on it. Yes, even the bathrooms.
Here are a few of my favorites...
and this one...that always goes on our bedroom door.

But this year, I've finally got the perfect place for this one...

Matthew's bedroom door. That just sums it up.

9 comments:

Gini said...

What the hell are they doing in that video? I ask only because it has been, what?, 8 years since we had a real tree. Love the door hangars.

Allison said...

So sad about your favorite tree place. Looks like you had fun making a new memory, though!

Anonymous said...

I woke this morning to a pipe that had leaked all night under the sink and down through to the cellar, but as soon as I saw this blog I forgot all about the water. Have I told you lately how much I love that boy:)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what the hell were they doing in that video? Cutting the stump?? I thought that was dennis behind the tree shaking it to death!

Unknown said...

Yeah - what were they doing in that video, darnnit!?!? Answer us!
I love the post, though. Maybe I will show off my simple-but-elegant mantle soon. :)

Kim said...

I can't believe you guys haven't seen one of those. It jiggles the tree so all the dead needles fall off!

Debbie said...

The wrap the trees for us up North but I have never seen a tree shaker. Does it really work?

Debbie said...

Ok, so my post should say they wrap trees. I hate typos!

Claire said...

When I first saw the video, I thought "what the...". Then I saw the tree pop off. Wow! What a difference from watching Paul lay on the ground and try to get a good angle to cut the tree down.


I haven't had a real tree in 10-12 years because I hate the mess, but I can relate to touring all the fields before settling on the "perfect" tree. I expect to see a picture of a decorated tree here.

Love the door hangers. They are very cute and festive.