Saturday, March 29, 2008

When point and click grocery shopping goes awry...

So, some of you know that I've become fond of online grocery shopping via Peapod. It's pretty handy, and when there's no food in the house and I know I'm just not going to make it to the grocery store, it's a lifesaver. I know, I know - you're saying "how does a control freak like you handle having some stranger shop for you?" Believe me, it's not been easy. I admittedly have some grocery hangups. I don't always like to take the item in the front, especially with refrigerated or frozen items. How do I know someone didn't have it in their cart, wheeling it all around the store, and then deciding to put it back, all melted and spoiled? Plus, I really like to check out my produce thoroughly, making sure I get the absolute best bunch of bananas or the best looking lettuce. Combine that with my penchant for trying out every new product that hits the shelves, and you see my dilemma....

Anyhow, I digress. I have a new challenge these days, in that Matthew's car seat doesn't fit well on the upper part of a grocery cart. It fits just fine in the bottom, but what good is that? I can fit maybe five items around him. Once it's nicer outside, I plan to put him in the Baby Bjorn, but for now, he's just too bundled up for it to be comfortable for him for a full blown trip to the grocery store. Dennis will tell you - I take a long time in the grocery store (reference above comment about trying every new product....). So, my options right now are to shop when Daddy is home, or use Peapod. Last week, I opted for Peapod.

Now, if I were in the store, I'd march myself up to the deli and order 1 lb of Land O' Lakes White American, sliced thin, please. Yum. But, when you're shopping quickly online, this....
looks awfully similar to this....


Yup, you guessed it. I ended up with this....

All I can say is, why? Why do they even make this? It doesn't even taste like regular cheese. I know. I tried it. I even tried making a grilled cheese sandwich with it, but to no avail. For those of you who know my love of cheese, you'll understand why it's taken me a week to recover enough to write this post.

Bundle up, Matthew. We're going shopping.

3 comments:

Allison said...

UGH! The horror!!! OMG we love LOL cheese, and it is hit or miss out here when you can get it.

Gini said...

That is such a funny post, Kimmy. I don't give a crap - cheese is cheese for me - I'd eat it - 'specially if it is LOL. Like Allison said - not too easy to find around here.

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY get it! I know with my first bite if I was given another brand of cheese - it happens often in the dacks!