Monday, January 26, 2009

Flash forward....and back

Tonight I got a glimpse into what Matthew's school years will be like. I was in the kitchen making dinner, and I could hear him playing with some toys in the living room. Every so often, I peeked in just to make sure he was OK. I could hear him playing the same song over and over again on this "CD player" we got him for his birthday. He waits until the song is over, and then pushes the same button for it to play all over again. This didn't surprise me, as he's done this for the longest time, with many of his musical toys.

What did surprise me tonight, though, was when I peeked in on him and saw this....


He was sitting on the floor "reading" one of his books, and playing the music over and over again at the same time. I could just see him as a teenager, studying in his room with music blaring. He's clearly taking after Dennis in this area. I was always amazed when Dennis was in law school or studying for the bar that he could study (and crazy hard stuff, mind you!) with the TV on or music playing. I never had that ability - I always needed quiet, focused study time. The only exception was classical music, which my high school physics teacher, Mr. Bloom, always played during our exams. He would tell us how music helps open up your brain and let you get at information more easily. I could never make it work with any other music, though; probably because I'd get distracted and start to sing along in my head.

Anyway, it was a crazy flash forward to the years to come, and it made me excited and sad at the same time.

Oh, and the flash back? Yeah, that was last night. He was having a cup of milk before going to bed, and I actually heard myself say to him - "Matthew, don't swill your milk." Funny how all those things your mother said to you as a child find their way into your vocabulary as an adult.

Life is good, isn't it?

5 comments:

Gini said...

That drives me crazy - doing school work while the TV is on in the background, or music is playing...I know EXACTLY what you mean!! Sounds like Matthew will be equally as talented as his father. Would have prefered a shot of him where I could actually see his face, since I don't see him too much....Anyhoo. Stop talking like Mommy.

Unknown said...

I love the simple, personal blogs.
I love my Egan friends.

Allison said...

"Life is good, isn't it?"

Yes, yes it is. How could it not be with the healthy, intelligent, and sweet children we all have?

I love the toesies!

Denise said...

Matthew Francis is a love and thank you for this post! He is a reader and I love it.

Debbie said...

I laughed while reading this because I thought of Dennis playing a song over and over again until her knew all of the words...I do the same thing.