Friday, January 9, 2009

What the...???

If you've talked to me lately, you know that I've been getting really frustrated with the cost of things these days, especially groceries. Yeah, I know...who isn't? I'm not saying I'm the only one - just that I've been complaining about it an awful lot.

Not only are the prices going up, but the sizes are going down, all under the guise of "new improved packaging". Take for instance, my biggest beef - Tropicana® Pure Premium Orange Juice. Here's the fancy new container....

Just fabulous, as long as you don't pay attention to the fact that you're now getting 89 oz. instead of 96.

Well, now it seems that not only are prices going up and quantities going down, but the quality is suffering too. I went to make dinner the other night, and I needed some stewed tomatoes. I pulled a can out of the pantry - Del Monte® - the brand of canned tomatoes I always buy (unless I'm making sauce - then I only buy imported Italian tomatoes). Now the last few times I've used stewed tomatoes, I've noticed I seem to be getting an awful lot of the stem end of the tomato - ya know, with the hard yellow piece? Yeah, lots of them. I end up cutting them out and chucking them, so I'm maybe getting 12 oz of usable tomatoes out of a 14.5 oz can. So, I open up this can and this is what I see....make sure you click on it to get the full effect...


Are you freakin' kidding me? Not only did they leave the stem end on, they left the whole damn stem on. Next thing you know I'll be finding leaves in there.

So that's it - no more Del Monte® tomatoes for me. I'm gonna buy whatever other brand is available - they've gotta be better than this....

7 comments:

Gini said...

In the words of my dear friend (you know who you are)
SHUT
THE
FRONT
DOOR??

You put that stem in there didn't you? OMG That sucks, but it sure is damn funny!!!!

Allison said...

speechless ovah here!

and wasn't the cost of groceries going up and the sizes going down because of gas prices? Well frickin' HELLO-OOOO!!! Gas is cheap now!

Jerolyn said...

Oh For Floyds SAKE...that's crazy!

Hey please send me your sauce recipe...and where does one get imported tomatos?

Unknown said...

I almost always buy the store brand - a tomato is a tomato is a tomato, right? It's not like you're eating them straight from the can - by the time the onion, garlic and various greenies get in there - who cares what brand you use.
Make the switch.
The time is now.

As far as prices - yes, very frustrating - I am right there with you, Kimmie.

Also - I miss you and can't wait to see you... let's meet for lunch with the kiddos one day soon.

Denise said...

Yuckity yuck yuck.

Anonymous said...

That is what I call fresh off the vine. I use diced tomatoes , so all that good stuff is undetectable.

Debbie said...

So, I have stopped by that size OJ for that same reason...I am getting less for more $$. I just buy the smaller size now. Super frustrating!

As for the tomatoes...that is ridiculous! I made chili this weekend and I didn't see a stem like that, but like the Lady, I use diced tomatoes.