Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Take Me Back Tuesday

OK, so here's this week's picture....

Many of you will recognize this as my absolute favorite lighthouse, Cape Neddick Light, a.k.a. Nubble Light, in York Beach, Maine.

I used to drive up to York Beach by myself in the winter and stay in a hotel on Long Sands Beach. I used to sit out on the rocks by the ocean, and I could see Nubble Light from there, but at quite a distance. I tried to find it once, but for some reason just couldn't seem to get there.

So, back to the picture. It was taken on Saturday, February 15, 2003. Dennis had surprised me with a weekend getaway for our first Valentine's Day. As we drove along Long Sands Beach on Valentine's evening, I pointed out Nubble Light, and mentioned I'd never seen it up close. He took a couple of turns here and there, and we came around a turn to the most amazing sight ever. There was the lighthouse, right there in front of us, and although it was already dark outside, it was beautifully illuminated by the snow on the ground. This picture was taken the following morning, when we went to see it in the light of day. It was almost as beautiful.

We've made many, many trips back there since, but none can top that first night in the snow. In retrospect, it's amazing that I was never able to find it on my own - it's ridiculously easy to get there from Long Sands. Guess I was meant to see it for the first time exactly the way I did.

Thanks for the great memory, babe.

6 comments:

Gini said...

Very great story, Kimmy. Everything happens for a reason. I forgot Take Me Back Tuesday - how stupid...glad you remembered! Love your stories. You tell them better than I ever could.

Unknown said...

You guys are so cute.
And that's a beautiful picture.

Anonymous said...

Oh My God you are so awesome Your story is so beautiful. And to think I in some way was a part of it. We are so happy God put you in Denny's path. Our lives have changed forever.

Denise said...

Gini took the words out of my mouth - everything happens for a reason. I love when things come together like that!! XO

Anonymous said...

Dennis.. you are the MAN!! love ya brother!!

Debbie said...

Wow! What a great story Kimberly. It brought tears to my eyes. God knew that you needed to see if for the first time with your best friend. Thanks for sharing!