Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Take Me Back Tuesday

Date Taken: August 22, 2004 3:39 p.m.
Location: Quabbin Reservoir

I took this picture from an observatory tower on the south end of the reservoir, Enfield Lookout, named after one of the 4 towns flooded in 1938 to provide drinking water for Boston and 40 other communities. Amazing story - check it out here. If you're really interested, PBS has a great documentary called "Under Quabbin", which is fascinating.

A beautiful view, but so much more to the story.
~

7 comments:

Allison said...

I am fascinated with Quabbin. I haven't been there in probably 15 years. It is a great spot for hiking. And the water--so crystal clear. It is amazing!

Denise said...

BEAUTIFUL! Can you believe that I have never been there? I've just added it to my list of things to do!! XO

Debbie said...

Gorgeous! I have never been. I am going to have to make Brendan take me there.

Unknown said...

Can we swim in it, or would the people in Boston get mad?

Gini said...

Never heard of this place. I liked clicking in to the picture..and you're not going to believe this one - I felt like I was looking at Lake Mead. The simple fact that there are times you look at it and it seems to go on for ever in the distance. Nice shot, Kimmy.

Anonymous said...

Actually watched a good chunk of that documentary on PBS last week. Pretty interesting stuff, even for a Nutmegger like me.

Claire said...

That was an interesting read. I'm glad they moved the cemetary, but it's a bit weird to think that there are old buildings and roads in the reservoir.