Sunday, March 1, 2009

It's calling my name....


Just checking in after a somewhat stressful week. I had training outside the office this week (Mon-Thurs); 8 hours each day with 2-3 hours of homework each night. Suffice it to say that I'm am waaaaaay out of practice doing homework. I had to close myself off in the office (after Matthew went to bed, of course) with no noise to distract me. Depsite the homework, I actually learned a lot, and am looking forward to the second round starting March 9th.

Then, on Friday, there were some announcements made at work about layoffs of some key individuals in my area (rumors had been bouncing around all week). I was working from home, so I was a bit removed from it all, but I could still feel the stress of everything going on. I'm fortunate that my teams are not impacted (in fact, I'm taking on some additional folks), but some of the cuts hit much too close to home. Some people I admire and respect are "no longer with the firm". Having been in that position myself, I really hate to see that stuff happen. It definitely reinforces that it doesn't matter how much you know - no one is indispensible.

Should be an interesting week coming up. There are a number of meetings scheduled tomorrow to help everyone understand the changes and what to expect going forward.

I've got a couple of spa gift certificates that you can bet are going to be put to good use real soon....
.

7 comments:

Allison said...

These are trying times, that is for sure. Enjoy those spa gift certificates!

Allison said...

Just found out that Stacey's husband Pete was one of the many let go last week. YIKES! This economy is hurting everyone.

Denise said...

I'm sure that you were extremely happy to be able to say TGIF at the end of the week!! This economy is in a free fall and I fear the worst is yet to come.

Doesn't it suck that even when you do everything right you still get screwed?! Oh wait, that is how I feel - don't mean to project that onto everyone else.

Heres hoping that this week gets a little easier.

XO

Gini said...

I admire you for writing blog posts like this. While I sometimes get all caught up in my own day to day-ness, you write those Stop And Think posts. Sometimes when we don't stop to think - we may begin to feel a bit untouchable when in all reality - we are not. Glad this shake up at work didn't affect you adversly. You totally NEED your spa treatment for sure!!!

Anonymous said...

We should all be thankful we have our jobs!!

Unknown said...

Ditto what was said - I feel so removed most of the time... being that I have no job. ha ha
But on top of that, Jay has this new, exciting job and while we always "say" that it could end and we'd be screwed and we're not invincible etc etc etc... it is often just lip service and every now and then it hits me that it should be lip service... it very well could happen to us.
Anyway - yeah, thanks for the reality.

Claire said...

I hope we don't repeat that week anytime soon...or ever!!! I hear you on the homework. I no longer have a life. I have work and homework. The learning part is fun at least. ;o)