Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Take Me Back Tuesday

Date: October 29, 2005
Place: TD Banknorth Garden

Since the Stanley Cup playoffs are underway, I thought this would be a timely picture. This was taken at a Bruins "Old-Timers" game we went to in Boston. A number of former Bruins players took on a team from Russia - an exhibition game, of course.

I must admit I was never really into hockey before I met Dennis; didn't get it, really. It wasn't until I went to my first hockey game in person that it all clicked. I could follow the puck, follow the line changes, and really see the game unfold. Since that day, I've really enjoyed watching it, live or on TV.

The Bruin surrounded by a sea of Russian players in the picture is Ray Bourque, Dennis' all-time favorite player. As you can see, the Russian players were just thrilled to have their picture taken with Bourque. They were just in awe of him. He retired before I got into hockey, so I never saw him play. (Althought I've watched plenty of highlights since then, right babe?) I did catch a glimpse of what it must have been like, though, even in this exhibition game. During the game, one of the Russian players cross-checked Bourque, and he spun around with a look in his eye like he was gonna make him pay. He thought better of it, naturally, but it was fun to see nonetheless.

Go B's!

6 comments:

Gini said...

I'll have to make sure Connor sees this blog post. He will like it for sure.

Cool photo op, huh? I too, never knew much, or even liked hockey until Bill and Connor got into it. Nothing like seeing a game in person!

Unknown said...

I can't stand watching sports on tv - except baseball.
But live hockey is by far, my favorite live sport.
Still hate golf, though, sorry.

Nanna said...

I've watched a lot of hockey in my day but the Bruins at the garden beats them all.

Danielle said...

I rember going in to dennise room when i was little, and seeing bourque picture all over the wall in his room.

Debbie said...

Great post! I have never seen a live Bruins games, but even live Indians games were awesome. I always thought I was so cool that my brother played hockey - you would have loved to see him play! Danielle, I totally agree, his room was covered in B's posters!

Go Boston!

Denise said...

and a roll!

i started to love hockey because denny loved/played hockey! now i am a true blue fan and love seeing the Bs do so well. XO