Thursday, April 16, 2009

Had I given it some thought....

I'm a big fan of orange juice. Wasn't always that way - it used to be that I could take it or leave it, kinda like lobster. But when I was pregnant with Matthew, it was one of the few cravings I had. I couldn't get enough of it. I'd have it every morning, but would also buy a small bottle any chance I had - at work, the convenience store, the gas station, while grocery shopping. I even filled my big Nalgene with it one time. Now that's a lot of juice! My affinity continued, even after I had Matthew, but in an effort to cut back on calories, I stopped drinking it so frequently. I'd rather be consuming those calories in other ways.

So, imagine my delight when I got a coupon a few weeks back for this.....


HOLY CRAP! O.J. with 50% less sugar and calories? Are you kidding me? Who's the friggin genius behind this?! I was beyond excited. I've been looking and looking for it, and I finally found some this week at Big Y, and could not wait to try it. Naturally, I didn't have my coupon with me, but that's another story. It's a bit more expensive, but I figured - hell, it's worth it.

Well, I tried it yesterday, and the taste was O.K. at best. I started to read the package to figure out how they made it with 50% less sugar and calories. I was thinking maybe it was something like making decaf coffee, where the beans are roasted longer which pulls out the caffeine. I don't know, maybe some special squeezing process, with some special kind of filtering or something? What the heck do I know?

Well, mystery solved....here's how they do it.


Ummm....yeah.....it's only 42% juice. The main ingredient? You guessed it - good old fashioned H20. Well, damn, I could have done that myself. And for a whole lot less to boot! Seriously. Not only do I not have to pay extra for this "special" juice, but my big old 89 (used to be 96) oz. jug will go twice as far. If I want to drink watered down OJ, that is...

Soooo disappointed....
.

6 comments:

Nanna said...

They should know by now that they can not pull the wool over you eye:)

Gini said...

Talk about misrepresentation/false advertising.......B@st@rds!!!

Good thing you read the label.

Denise said...

In all honesty, you just saved me. Trop 50 is on my grocery list for the week because I thought the exact same thing - whoo hoo, oj with less calories. Looks like now the only thing to do is to pour one cup of oj into a glass and then pour 1 and 1/4 cups of water right on top of it, stir and enjoy! yuck.

Debbie said...

BOO! I will remember to keep that off of my list!

Bill said...

Juiced juice.....

Allison said...

Hey, but you have to love the packaging genius behind the orange on the cap!!