Monday, May 19, 2008

I love it here....

There are times when it's easy to remember why I love living here (here being New England in general, and more specifically, Longmeadow). This weekend was one of those times.

Every year, our town celebrates Long Meddowe days, put on by the Historical Society. In general, the town tends to be a bit of a throwback, but this celebration really seals the deal. There are architectural tours of the 17th and 18th century houses lining the green, a cemetery tour, a town parade, and various other highlights commemorating the town's history. This was our second year attending (we didn't really know about it our first year here). I clearly recall last year's visit - I had just found out I was pregnant, and couldn't partake of the hot dogs the Boy Scouts were selling. Believe me when I tell you I partook this year. =)

Aside from the culinary offerings, there are all sorts of artisans displaying their wares, along with folks just looking to make a statement - you know, save the manatees, and so forth....

The weather was perfect on Saturday - low 70's, so we took a walk to the town green to check it out. It's so nice to be able to walk to places in town, and to see people coming from every direction. Now granted, the whole town is only 9.5 square miles, so they're not really coming from too far....but you get my drift.

On the way, we passed the police station, and saw this cool old police car....


Gotta love a police station that looks like that!

Once at the green, we ate our fill of hot dogs and kettle corn and french fries, all set up by local organizations. We picked up a few treasures along the way - a couple of new flags for the front yard and a fire truck magnet to hold a picture of Matthew. We had a great day - taking in the fresh air and feeling like part of a thriving community. We ran into a few neighbors, some who were meeting Matthew for the first time. He was all smiles, and looking oh, so cute. Here are a few pics we took throughout the day....




A woman passing by offered to take a picture of the three of us together - love this shot!

I can't wait until next year when we can take Matthew on the little train ride, or walk alongside him atop a cute pony. We moved here knowing it was where we wanted to raise a family, and it makes me so happy to think of all the fun times we have to look forward to.

7 comments:

Chris said...

Kimmy you look great...you too Dennis

Gini said...

I think the BABY looks great. Nice hat! Chris, what the heck time did you post your comment??

Allison said...

Love the green, the temp, the trees, my nephew, KETTLE CORN???? WaaaAAAHHH!!!!!

Anonymous said...

The family together, hot dogs and kettle corn. Who could ask for anything more. What a nice looking family. The whole thing still blows my mind with happiness.

Redhead in Vegas said...

what an amazing town to live in. i love places like that and hope that we can get our little family out of vegas and back to the northeast( we are from New Jersey) before my daughter starts school. your son is seriously he cutest EVER. what a great hat! and how stinkin' cute are you! another red head. i love it!!

Redhead in Vegas said...

oh,
i forgot, my blog is private, but i would love to add you as a reader. if you want email me your email address and i will add you to my reader list. i swear i won't spam the heck out of you! you can check my references with your sister and sister in law.

Carey

carey_p@yahoo.com

Denise said...

Yourreeee lucccky - you live in Longmeadow! :)