Friday, May 2, 2008

The ole switcheroo...

Today we shook things up a bit. Dennis had to get an extra early start since he was teaching a Junior Achievement class to a group of 7th graders at a school in Springfield. Since the class began at 8:00 a.m., that meant he wouldn't be able to drop Matthew off at school. So, we switched roles today, me dropping off and Dennis picking up. Little did I know what I was in for....

Despite the disruption to our usual routine, we did quite well timing our morning preparations. Dennis left around 7:15, and Matthew and I headed out just before 8:00. Matthew was in a great mood, and stayed awake on the ride to school. Dennis has come to prefer the morning drop off when Matthew is awake, so I was happy he hadn't fallen asleep. He doesn't like envisioning him waking up wondering where he is, and I totally get this.

So, we arrive at school, and I sign him in for the day. We go into the infant room, and one of the teachers gleefully (no really, it was gleefully!) announces "Matthew's here!" I proceed to fill out his little book so his teachers know how his morning has been - what time he woke up, what time he ate, when his last diaper change was, etc. Then, I take him out of his car seat and into the main area, where his primary teacher is waiting. I snuggle with him for a while, smothering him with kisses and asking him if he'll miss me. I knew sooner or later, I'd have to leave. What I wasn't prepared for, though, was this.....


Someone else is reaching for my baby, and waiting for me to hand him over.

Seriously?

Now granted, she only had two hands, not three, but she might as well have had 50 - that's how it felt and how unprepared for it I was. God help me when Matthew starts reaching back.....

Why couldn't he have just been sleeping soundly in his car seat? No, you're right, I wouldn't have liked that either. I should instead be so thankful that they adore him like they do.

So I handed him over and went off to work.....

This afternoon, Dennis got out early and went to spring Matthew from school. He walked in to find him hanging out in his bouncy chair. I know the scene, and somehow, in a way I can't define, he looks so different when you see him in that setting. He collected all his stuff and took him home. Funny - he liked picking him up about as much as I liked dropping him off. I guess we're in the roles we're meant to be in.

On a positive note, Matthew's backup teacher bestowed on me yet another present Matthew created. It was Parent Appreciation Week, so the teachers and kids did something special each day for the parents. Since Matthew doesn't attend on Thursdays, we got yesterday's present today. Check it out...guess this explains why he had no socks on when I picked him up on Wednesday!



5 comments:

Gini said...

My heart was hurting for you reading this. You know deep down he is in good hands. I am sure it is hard to feel that, in the moment.

Allison said...

Oh, it must be hard, Kimmy. Very well-written. I think all of the little gifts are so great--and hopefully they take the edge off a little bit.

Denise said...

UUUGH....that felt like a kidney punch. xo

Allison said...

Kimmy, you need to start posting more--I check your blog like 15 times a day and need new posts to feed my addiction!

Kim said...

Soon, I promise!